"A man's heart plans his way but the Lord directs his steps." Proverbs 16:9

Pages

Sunday, March 30, 2008

A date with Abraham!

I took my son Abraham on a "date night" to the speedway to watch daddy race. He is such a neat little boy. He is very sensitive, and yet has that manly boy side as well. This is my child who is very particular about his clothes (Meaning he has got to have a belt with ALL pants...if there are no belt loops, then he will not wear them. He has certain shoes for certain pants, and usually wears a hat b/c he doesn't want his hair sticking up funny.) At the same time, he is also my daredevil. First to learn how to ride a bike and skateboard, and always trying something new! I have to hand it to him though, we have yet to make a hospital trip for this stunt man! On the other hand, he is the one to come give me "secret" hugs and kisses (heaven forbid anyone should see him!). He has to be standing next to me in the kitchen when I am cutting something to make sure I don't cut my fingers off and he is the seat belt police...makes sure every time everyone is buckled up "so you don't go through the windshield". Where could he have heard that before ;)
Anyway, back to date night. It was happy and sad for me for a few reasons. First, he was sooooo excited and came in the night before saying, "I ran out of sheep to count and now I can't sleep". He has a habit of biting his cheeks when he is excited and nervous, and I swear he must have holes in his cheeks from last night. He even kissed my cheek a hundred times and held my hand while walking when there were hundreds of people around! The sad end of it is that my kids are growing up so fast and I feel like I am missing it. I need to do these date nights more often. I learn so much about them when I get them alone. Abraham tends to be my whiner, but I have come to find out that it is only to be heard above the others. Not one time did he whine when he was alone with me so, I need to be sure I am listening to him before he feels the need to whine when we are at home. Secondly, I was a bit sad that he was so very excited about this date for the simple fact that I wish I could make him that happy all the time.
So, if you aren't doing date night with your kids, I challenge you to start today. We can learn so much from and about our babies!
Blessings, Rossie

5 comments:

Raquel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Raquel said...

It makes me sad that my kids seem to be getting big so quick but at the same time it is fun each stage they are in (remind me of this when the kids are teens please)
funny I bite the inside of my mouth all the time too!

Christina said...

Rossie!
So happy to see you blogging again. Did you know I have one too? Love your date night story. I also love to have the girls alone. They are just so different on their own. Take care.

Lynette said...

Dates with the kids are important. I am going to work on that!

HAPPYHANERHOME said...

Hi Rossie! I am so happy that your blog has more fun stuff to read. I hadn't read it in a while. This is so great and I just think it's awesome you have dates with your kids. I notice that when our kids are getting extra whiny sometimes even 20 minutes of one-on-one can do wonders. Love to you!