"A man's heart plans his way but the Lord directs his steps." Proverbs 16:9

Pages

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Trip back to the NICU

Before I write about my trip back to the NICU, I wanted to do a
Works For Me Wednesday tip. I was reminded of this little trick I used to do when all my children were small. We called it the "Chicken Coop" but I have also heard it called the "Holding Pen".


You know how it is when you are trying to get out the door with little ones...they are either under foot while you are trying to get all your belongings together, or when you are finally ready to load everyone up, you find that your 2 yr. old has completely undressed herself!!


Well...


I used to put the playpen by the front door and as I got each child dressed and ready, I would put my little chickens in the "chicken coop" until I was ready to load them into the car. This allowed me to go through the house collecting everything I needed and to load each child individually without coming back in the house for the next child only to find they have decided now is the perfect time to play hide and seek or that my one year old happily chased the bird across the street!


It worked FABULOUSLY!!




Now, for my NICU trip. When I got home from the hospital with Canaan last month, I recieved a package in the mail. I could not have guessed whom it was!!



It was from one of Canaan's nurses!



Gabrielle had donated about 35 hats to the NICU while we were there and I had asked this nurse if they would use receiving blankets. She told me absolutely and so I told her as soon as life settled down a bit, I would get to making some.



Well, she was so sweet and purchased about 20 yards of flannel and sent it to me so that I could make the blankets!! I did not know she planned to do this. She also sent a beautiful baby book that she made for Canaan!! I am telling you...God could not have blessed us more with these wonderful individuals we met in the NICU!!

Anyway, I also made an 11x16 enlargement of the picture I have at the top of my blog...Canaan's feet with Phil and my wedding rings hung on his toes, and framed it for them to hang in the NICU. We also donated all of Canaan's preemie (which he finally outgrew!) clothes to them.



It was so special to be able to drop off a care package to this amazing group of men and women and for all those precious babies. This staff does so much more than just provide medical care to these babies...they become family to them.


2 comments:

HAPPYHANERHOME said...

Oh my, the blessings continue to flow over you guys and Canaan and I just could not begin to thank God for all His answered prayers in that regard! Love and miss you and thanks for the tip--now to make the house a bit bigger so the playpen being up all the time isn't in the way! Ha!

Melodie said...

I LOVE the chicken coop idea! And how sweet of you to do that for the NICU! I am also glad that ya'll found such wonderful nurses, what a blessing! Also, love the pictures ya'll took but forgot to comment on them. = )