"A man's heart plans his way but the Lord directs his steps." Proverbs 16:9

Pages

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Character training on the fly...

I thought we were prepared for everything.  Clothes were packed and organized...snacks, things to do, Jonathan parks, I mapped out fieldtrips where we could get out and stretch our legs...you name it, I thought of it...



Up until minute #2 in our car.


That would be right about when one of my children somehow got kicked in the eye and the fight was on!  Seriously, how does that happen when they are all supposedly buckled in??


That little saying up there was pivotal on this trip for me!!  
I was seeing character flaws in my children that I KNOW I myself deal with.


As if I wasn't a believer before...I am now more than ever that EVERY moment in our life is a teachable one.  Not only for our children, but for us.


This trip has been one of growth.  I think one of my major mistakes is not living by "Fathers (and mothers) do not provoke your children to anger, but rather bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord." Eph. 6:4



I spend too much time doing damage control...trying to fix bad behavior and not nearly enough time inspiring them to do good and training them up in the Lord.
If we are more PROACTIVE we will not have to be as REACTIVE.
This very close quarters this past week has helped point out character flaws in myself by the mirrors my children are of me.


As this job feels so daunting sometimes, I am once again reminded to "not grow weary in doing good for in due time you shall reap the harvest if you do not give up." Gal. 6:9
We NEED to invest this in our children.  We need to model and inspire to our children JESUS...we need to shine Him in every moment.  
If we have a moment of failure...or years of failure, it is never too late.
Start now.
Change happens quickly if we are open to it!!
Sometimes...we might just have to resort to Batman!!  ;)


3 comments:

Sugarplum Creations Blog said...

Such a wonderful reminder to be more proactive than reactive! I find myself reacting a lot :/ Have a wonderful trip!

Too Many Kids In The Bathtub said...

I am so glad to see that you are blogging again! I hope your trip back to Montana is wonderful! :)
I got your message awhile back. But I got a new phone and not have your number anymore. :( Would you email me and I will give it to you? tara_roma@mac.com

Anonymous said...

My Whey Isolate contains BCCA's, I constantly look for these in any protein I acquire.
It is really a really crucial ingredient that several folks overlook.

Also visit my web site - six pack shortcuts review forum