"A man's heart plans his way but the Lord directs his steps." Proverbs 16:9

Pages

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Works for me Wednesday

I really have to plan now for groceries since we are 44 miles from the nearest larger city. We do have a small store here, but the prices just don't cut it when you are cooking for a large group. There are 7 in our family so far, but we also have my brother and sister living here as well.
Anyway, each day we have 2 snack times...one at around 10am to give a break from school and then at 3pm after everyone is up from nap and quiet time. One snack is fruit or veggies, and the other is an easy one for me. Being crackers, animal cookies, fruit snack or something along those lines.
Now back to my shopping...I menu planned for about a month, and shopped for a month, therefore came home with an astronomical amount of food and snacks. When I got home, I had each of the kids with a 1 cup measuring cup and they measured out raisins, cookies, crackers etc. into sandwich bags and then I put them all in a tub labeled "Snack". This has made it soooo much easier than to have to listen to all the bickering of what we were going to have and then the mess of cleaning up all the boxes and napkins we put all the snacks on. I also do this with my cereal. We measure it into ziplock bags after on grocery day and then they just pick out the kind they want from a tub in the morning, and we have no boxes and lots less mess afterward.
Just thought I'd share!

5 comments:

Raquel said...

great ideas Rossie! i try to do with chips when i buy them in big bags so i dont have to do it everyday for lunches...

Too Many Kids In The Bathtub said...

Such a time saver!!! Miss you miss you miss you!!!

Shannon said...

Great tip!

Brandi Wentworth said...

Glad to have you back, miss you much!

Lynette said...

We do the same thing and it is such a help!!!