"A man's heart plans his way but the Lord directs his steps." Proverbs 16:9

Pages

Friday, February 26, 2010

Canaan's Story (Part three)

"A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches." Prov. 22:1
"I have even called thee by thy name; I have surnamed thee (NIV says, "given you a name of honor." Isaiah 45:4
The day before I went in for my ultrasound, I had a dream. In that dream I was pregnant and laid down to take a nap and had a dream (a dream within a dream...shows how far God can reach!) I dreamt I was walking along side God...I couldn't see him, but I knew He was there because He was talking to me. He was leading me through what looked like a nursery of babies in the little beds. We stopped in front of one particular bed and God told me to start putting away our girl clothing because we were having a boy. Then He said, his name is Canaan because you are in a place of promise.


Then I woke up, but now I just I knew we were having a boy. Thankfully I told Phil before the ultrasound, or he would have never believed me. He didn't believe me at first and told me not to get his hopes up :)


We went in to our ultrasound and sure enough, the first thing we see...yup a male child in all his glory!! When I called Phil, he said, "No Way, give me the news...it's a girl isn't it?" I think he was pretty excited he was having another boy...even if he wouldn't admit he had already been given a name, I was glad I could at least confirm that I wasn't crazy and that the dream I had wasn't just any dream. It was a God one!


He never really liked the name and I made a joke of saying..."his name is supposed to be Canaan, even though I'm not sure you'll be obedient in naming him that." He just laughed and made some dumb joke about naming him Bob or Bud...whatever!?!?!


When our baby boy was delivered and the dr. asked what his name was...Phil said, " I guess it should be Canaan."


You see, Canaan means:


Humble


Land of Promise


Covenant


I have never been more humbled. The feeling of needing Jesus has never been so present than in the birth of Canaan. Utter hopelessness and uselessness... without the thought that this is in God's hands, I would have been a complete mess. I was able to do NOTHING...except to make sure that the way I was resoponding to all of this would bring glory to God...I KNEW He had something very big planned.

Nor have I ever been so humbled by all the ones who jumped in to help, prayed, called, e-mailed, the doctors, nurses and people that were working behind the scenes. I may never know how many people God used to bless us, and that thought alone is humbling!


We didn't know what to expect when we moved to Montana...didn't know if it would work out, but we have been blessed over and over with God's amazing promises. A house (with the most wonderful landlords), a heated shop for Phil to work out of, actual work for Phil (we didn't know how that would go in a town of only 750), fabulous friends (even though I miss my Ca ones so very much), we are close to family (although we left dear ones in Ca) and who could forget hunting for my hubby!

Then as we went through this trial, you could see God unveiling one promise after the other. The doctors, nurses and hospitals have been knit together so intimately and they didn't even know it! We felt God's presence everywhere!


God's covenant...in my dream, I was looking at a healthy baby boy. I had one moment of tears and it was when the thought really occurred to me that God's will could be to take my little guy home, but that is another chapter :) I quickly recovered and remembered my dream.
Usually the trials we go through are a time of crying out to the Lord. Questioning His motives and wondering whether He is listening or if He's even there.
God was so merciful to us in this trial. I saw Him EVERYWHERE...I never questioned Him. It was a moment in my life where I could define God. I could see His outline in every moment.
If you are going through a trial...I can assure you. GOD IS THERE!
"And the Lord, He it is that doth go before thee; he will be with thee; he will not fail thee nor forsake thee, fear not neither be dismayed." Deut.31:8
"but the very hairs on your head are numbered." Matt. 10:30


8 comments:

R. Hansen said...

Wow Rossie. Thank you so much for sharing that special experience. I feel so special being able to hear of your inspiration from God. Thank you.

Too Many Kids In The Bathtub said...

WOW WOW WOW!!!!! God id doing a mighty work in your family!

Too Many Kids In The Bathtub said...

PS...What an amazing testimony to the faithfulness of a wife who hears from the Lord and still submits to her husband. You cold have argued that name with him...but you KNEW the LORD had NAMED this baby!

LOVE YOU!

HAPPYHANERHOME said...

Thank you...just...thank you.

Mrs. Stuart said...

I got chills when I read this! GOD IS SO AMAZING!

Shannon Moser said...

Thank you for sharing the encouraging story. It is amazing how God works and uses others to reach His people. Praise God for Canaan, and Praise God for His Goodness.

Anonymous said...

I came across your page on Tara Haner's Facebook page a few months ago and read the whole thing I think! I just wanted to stop and say WOW you a an amazing woman of God. I am truley inspired by you. I will continue to lift up your little man......

gstevens said...

I found your blog by accident. I did a Google search on the baby name Canaan (the name of my 5 month old), and your blog popped up. I so enjoyed reading his story and learning more about your family. It's so wonderful to see God's hand in every little detail, even in the hard times! I, too, am a homeschool mother of 3, and it's always so encouraging to read about the experiences of others. You have a beautiful family- thank you for sharing your story! ~Ginna S.